[Dovecot] OE pop3 > imap subfolder migration?

Curtis Maloney cmaloney at cardgate.net
Tue Jun 27 02:29:29 EEST 2006

Sysadmin wrote:
>> Some of our users have many complex hierarchies of folders, but with
>> OE I just created another account, dragged their folders over, and hey
>> presto - it was done (after a while :)
>
> Hmm, just tried, XP, Outlook Express, pop3 account, folders are:
>
> Loval Folders
> Inbox - Test1
> Outbox
> Sent Items
> Deleted Items
> Drafts
> Test2
> Test3
>
> Then I made for the same user also in same Outlook Express imap account.
> And all I can is drag & drop messages for example from pop3 inbox to the
> imap inbox. But I can't drag & drop any folder from pop3 to imap
> account. What kind of trick did You use, to do this?

It may be the POP3 that's different.  Our users were keeping the mail local.
Also, I didn't create the folders first, I just dragged the existing ones.

Can you try copying the mails to local folders, then moving them to the IMAP server?

I'm assuming you don't have access to the existing POP3 mail store, or it's not
in a format that Dovecot understands, because then you could just point Dovecot
at it and go.

>> Don't know about the settings though - I assume you mean filters and
>> sorting?
>
> Yes.

No, this was a write-off, because pretty much nobody stores these in the same
format.

--
Curtis Maloney
cmaloney at cardgate.net