[Dovecot] some basic questions

David wb8foz at 8es.com
Wed Jun 28 18:20:48 EEST 2006

I'm seeking a small IMAP server, and dovecat was recommended by those more
savvy than me. (The sign on my monitor is "My programming language is
solder..") so I'll be getting help to deploy this, but first...

I've read through the wiki docs but still have questions, ones likely too
obvious for most readers....

There will be <100 users, the platform will Debian, and I need IMAP/PO over
SSL/TSL and locally-hosted Squirrelmail [unless someone has a better webmail
client...]. Other boxes here run postfix, so that is a first choice.

Clients will be Eudora, maybe TBird/Apple mail; no M$ Outlook.

A) I need multi-domain support, with <joe at xyz.com> and <joy at qbc.net> being
separate users.

B) I have a problem with storage-abusers & really want the carrot-stick
quota system my favorite ISP, Panix, has. You get N bytes {or messages, I
can live with either/both} and when you get near, you get nagged until you
solve it.

When you exceed quota, you get no more incoming mail, just nagging. It's
shunted aside until you make room. After D days, if it's still there, the
shunted mail is returned.

Regular reports as to who's naughty and nice would be great.

C) Password changes. How can I have user-changable pw's, with crack/sanity
checking of the new ones? Do I have to have accessible shell accounts on the
box for each user? [argh]

D) Spam: assume I can run spam-assassin and have it move suspected mail into
a Junque mailbox; true?

E) Non-guru creation/deletion of accounts: It appears from "Virtual Users"
that this is possible via a text file, but I'm not sure...

Comments?