[Dovecot] 1.0 RC1 status

Marc Maurer mmaurer at betterbe.com
Thu Jun 29 12:44:29 EEST 2006

On Wed, 2006-06-28 at 00:34 +0300, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-06-27 at 14:21 +0200, J.M. Maurer wrote:
> > > Well, I can't really think of anything then. Usually the hangs have been
> > > because the connection hangs for some reason, like with large FETCH
> > > replies. But there was nothing like that in your case. The hangs seem to
> > > happen after Outlook has closed the IMAP connection, so maybe it doesn't
> > > like some mail or something..
> >
> > Hmm, that would be strange, as it happens with all our Outlook 2003
> > clients.. then again, you never know how braindead Outlook is, and which
> > mails it can't handle.
> >
> > Btw, the disconnect only came after a long (ie. 1 min) wait while doing
> > send/receive. When the disconnect came in the rawlog, Outlook still kept
> > showing the progress bar, waiting forever.
>
> Weird. Is it possible for you to look at the IMAP traffic from the
> client's computer? Or possibly some computer between the server and the
> client? Maybe it doesn't see the logout reply for some reason. I don't
> know what tools to use in Windows to do that though.

Sure, ethereal works just fine on Win32 it seems :)

Attached is a traffic log taken from the windows client (192.168.2.25),
connecting to the dovecot server (192.168.2.2).

There are 2 'issues' here: the first is, again, a very long wait during
a "send/receive" action done from Outlook 2003. After some time, this
action finished or timed-out, not sure there. Secondly, it ends with the
same issue, where Outlook 2003 never came through, and just kept hanging
(showing the progress bar).

If you need any more info, please ask. We are very eager to track this
issue down (as it affects a lot of our clients).

Thanks,
   Marc