[Dovecot] upgrade from beta9 to rc1 - lost access to messages and folders

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Jun 29 16:49:47 EEST 2006

On Jun 29, 2006, at 4:41 PM, Joseph W. Breu wrote:

> Upgraded a test machine this morning from beta9 to rc1 and lost
> access to messages and folders.

I don't think I changed anything special in there..

> an strace on the imap process shows it accessing the home
> directory, but not the mail directory.  The two queries that I use
> are:
>
> password_query = SELECT email,crypt as password FROM users WHERE
> email = '%u'
> user_query = SELECT homedir AS home, maildir AS mail, 1000 AS uid,
> 1000 AS gid FROM users WHERE email = '%u'
>

> In this example, homedir=/var/spool/mail/filer/storage and
> maildir=cfu.net/b/r/breu

Mail directory shouldn't be relative. Also it'd be better not to rely
on Dovecot's autodetection of mailbox format. Change it instead to
something like:

.., concat('maildir:', homedir, '/', maildir) as mail, ..

> Under beta9, it finds the homedir/maildir correctly as /var/spool/
> mail/filer/storage/cfu.net/b/r/breu.  Under rc1, it accesses /var/
> spool/mail/filer/storage//mail/

Maybe I should change the code so that relative paths are guaranteed
to work, or guaranteed to fail. Currently I'm not sure why it would
or would not work.