[Dovecot] using mbox but, can't create subfolders

Curtis Maloney cmaloney at cardgate.net
Tue Mar 7 00:19:38 EET 2006

blaq b0x wrote:
> Well,
>
>  I noticed that the  "Let this folder contain subfolders" check box is gone in the Folder options.  How do I get this back.

That's an issue for your mail client.

mbox uses a single file to hold all the messages in a "folder".  A sub-folder is
just a directory.  So, it's not possible, in "standard" mbox, for a sub-folder
itself to contain messages - a directory can't hold messages.

Some systems use a hidden extension so you can have subfolders with the same
name as a mailbox.  I'm pretty sure Eudora and Thunderbird do this for their
local storage.

In Maildir, the file layout is somewhat more complex, but the spec is such that
you can have folders containing messages and subfolders.  It does this by only
having one level of directories, and the directory names being
Maildir/.subfolder.subfolder.folder, with cur, new, and tmp underneath that.

In theory, there's no reason a mail store couldn't be devised that created mbox
names in this same fashion.

--
Curtis Maloney
cmaloney at cardgate.net