[Dovecot] Can I install in the following fashion?

Stewart Dean sdean at bard.edu
Tue Mar 7 16:48:53 EET 2006

if you run configure --help, you will see this (and more):
> Installation directories:
>   --prefix=PREFIX         install architecture-independent files in PREFIX
> 			  [/usr/local]
>   --exec-prefix=EPREFIX   install architecture-dependent files in EPREFIX
> 			  [PREFIX]
>
> By default, `make install' will install all the files in
> `/usr/local/bin', `/usr/local/lib' etc.  You can specify
> an installation prefix other than `/usr/local' using `--prefix',
> for instance `--prefix=$HOME'.
>
> For better control, use the options below.
>
> Fine tuning of the installation directories:
>   --bindir=DIR           user executables [EPREFIX/bin]
>   --sbindir=DIR          system admin executables [EPREFIX/sbin]
>   --libexecdir=DIR       program executables [EPREFIX/libexec]
>   --datadir=DIR          read-only architecture-independent data [PREFIX/share]
>   --sysconfdir=DIR       read-only single-machine data [PREFIX/etc]
>   --sharedstatedir=DIR   modifiable architecture-independent data [PREFIX/com]
>   --localstatedir=DIR    modifiable single-machine data [PREFIX/var]
>   --libdir=DIR           object code libraries [EPREFIX/lib]
>   --includedir=DIR       C header files [PREFIX/include]
>   --oldincludedir=DIR    C header files for non-gcc [/usr/include]
>   --infodir=DIR          info documentation [PREFIX/info]
>   --mandir=DIR           man documentation [PREFIX/man]
I see now I missed something so I will redefine my request. If I invoke
configure with:
--prefix=/usr/local/dovecot-bld/<timestamp>
--eprefix=/usr/local/dovecot-bld/<timestamp>
where /usr/local/dovecot-bld/<timestamp> is a directory
Q1: Will I have everything in that one directory so that by tar'ing and
untar'ing that one directory I can tar up everything necessary to run
dovecot on another machine with the same OSlevel/patches/OpenSSL. Will
dovecot be able to reference everything it needs? I notice that

--oldincludedir=DIR    C header files for non-gcc [/usr/include]

will not be there. Will that be a problem?
Q2: Will dovecot not be able to find system resources it needs?

Tar'ing up a directory is doable. RPM'ing hundreds of files scattered
here and there, perhaps referenced by others, perhaps with new
additions/deletions you don't know about sounds like an heroic task.
Does anybody see how simple it is to upgrade UWImap with its one binary?

--
====