[Dovecot] Install/configure on FC4 with maildir and mysql

Netlink Tech tech at netlinkcom.com
Wed Mar 8 15:36:47 EET 2006

Hello,
I have a FC4 x64 server that I am configuring/testing.

It had dovecot 0.99 loaded after I did a yum update.
That worked great with mbox, the passwd file, and test users in
/home/users/username.

I would like to be able to authenticate virtual users by
'username at domain.com' and have them be able to use squirrelmail or
Outlook/Outlook Express to access their email.
Users have no reason to have a login (shell) account on this machine.
I also would like to use the maildir format for performance.

I also have hundreds of users currently on a RH9 mail server using qpopper
in mbox format, hashed mail spool.

Questions:
1)Is a mysql database the best way to support "user at domain.com" email
users? (they don't have any reason for a shell account on this machine)

2)What version of dovecot should I be using?
I prefer RPMs and at
http://www.dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2006-February/011467.html I found
http://fedora.ivazquez.net/yum/4/x86_64/RPMS.alternatives/dovecot-1.0-0.iva.4.beta3.x86_64.rpm
I installed this and then configured procmail for maildir delivery.
I configured dovecot-sql.conf for mysql driver...but the mysql driver does
not appear to be compiled in this rpm.

3)Anyone have any general tips on how to configure such a beast?

Thanks,
Curt