[Dovecot] 1.0 beta3 not preserving X-Keyword header?

Gregory K. Ruiz-Ade gkra at ucsd.edu
Wed Mar 8 19:20:15 EET 2006

Timo Sirainen wrote:
> Are the $Labels listed in X-IMAP or X-IMAPbase header in the first mail?

Well, there is an X-IMAPbase header in the first message, but it does not
seem to change when I diddle with Thunderbird's labels.

So, before I did anything, with thunderbird closed:

-----
gruizade at csefast(pts/0):~ 49 > echo $MAIL
/var/spool/mail/gruizade
gruizade at csefast(pts/0):~ 50 > cp $MAIL inbox.backup
`/var/spool/mail/gruizade' -> `inbox.backup'
gruizade at csefast(pts/0):~ 51 > diff inbox.backup $MAIL
-----

That diff verified that my copy is the same as my inbox.

Then I opened thunderbird, and applied $Label1 through $Label5 to the first
five messages, respectively.  I then told Thunderbird to compact all
folders, and then quit.  Then I tried to see what changed:

-----
gruizade at csefast(pts/0):~ 52 > diff inbox.backup $MAIL
-----

Diff told me, sadly, that nothing changed in my inbox.  Thunderbird, though,
seems to think the messages are still tagged, which leads me to believe the
tagging is somehow cached either in Thunderbird, or somewhere else.  I have
no idea where that somewhere else would be, though, because Thunderbird on
_another_ machine will pick up the labels, but no idea from where!

Both before and after I applied the labels, my X-IMAPbase header looked like:

$Label1 $Label2 $Label4 $Label5

It only seems to change when messages are added or removed from the inbox,
and the only part that changes is the second number (last UID?)  As messages
are read, Status and X-UID headers are added/updated properly, though.

> Try this manually:
>
> MAIL=~/mail /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/imap
> x select mailbox
> x store 1 +flags test
> x fetch 1 flags
> x logout
>
> Does the "test" keyword get added to mbox either?

Here's the session:

-----
gruizade at csefast(pts/8):~ 25 > setenv MAIL ~/inbox.backup; \
? /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/imap

* PREAUTH [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 SORT THREAD=REFERENCES MULTIAPPEND UNSELECT
LITERAL+ IDLE CHILDREN NAMESPACE LOGIN-REFERRALS] Logged in as gruizade
x select inbox
* FLAGS (\Answered \Flagged \Deleted \Seen \Draft $NotJunk JunkRecorded NonJunk)
* OK [PERMANENTFLAGS (\Answered \Flagged \Deleted \Seen \Draft $NotJunk
JunkRecorded NonJunk \*)] Flags permitted.
* 31 EXISTS
* 0 RECENT
* OK [UIDVALIDITY 1129222811] UIDs valid
* OK [UIDNEXT 45703] Predicted next UID
x OK [READ-WRITE] Select completed.
x store 1 +flags test
* FLAGS (\Answered \Flagged \Deleted \Seen \Draft $NotJunk JunkRecorded
NonJunktest $Label3 Junk $Label1 $Label2 $Label4 $Label5)
* OK [PERMANENTFLAGS (\Answered \Flagged \Deleted \Seen \Draft $NotJunk
JunkRecorded NonJunk test $Label3 Junk $Label1 $Label2 $Label4 $Label5 \*)]
Flags permitted.
* 1 FETCH (FLAGS (\Flagged \Seen test))
x OK Store completed.
x fetch 1 flags
* 1 FETCH (FLAGS (\Flagged \Seen test))
x OK Fetch completed.
x logout
* BYE Logging out
x OK Logout completed.
-----

Looking in the mailbox after this test, there is indeed an X-Keywords header:

Yet, no matter which Thunderbird I try to use, on which platform, this
doesn't happen.

So, I'm really confused now.

Gregory

--