[Dovecot] Re: mbox to maildir conversion - good idea regarding Outlook?

Jeff Ballard ballard at engr.wisc.edu
Tue Mar 14 00:17:17 EET 2006

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 12:35:00 -0500  Glenn Leavell wrote:

> I'm trying to manually run today's CVS of convert-tool on a Solaris 9
> system (a system where I'm successfully running Dovecot itself).  Here's an
> example of what I'm trying:
>
> ./convert-tool bozo /home/bozo \
>   mbox:/home/bozo/Mail/:INBOX=/home/bozo/.inbox maildir:/home/bozo/Maildir
>
> When I run this in a case where ~bozo/.inbox *does* exist, but ~bozo/Mail
> does *not*, then convert-tool displays "Info: Successfully converted." In
> this case, however, ~bozo/Maildir is created with the cur,new,tmp
> infrastructure for INBOX, but it's otherwise empty.
>
> When I run this in a case where both ~bozo/Mail and ~bozo/.inbox exist, I
> receive the error:
>
>  Fatal: flock() locks not supported (see lock_method setting in config file)
>
> In this case, ~bozo/Maildir has the empty infrastructure for INBOX and also
> an empty infrastructure for the first folder in ~bozo/Mail.  I'm also left
> with a stale ~bozo/.dovecot.convert.lock file
>
> I *am* selecting fcntl in dovecot.conf, but convert-tool doesn't appear to
> be reading the config file.  If I want to use convert-tool as a
> command-line utility, do I need to run it through the master dovecot
> program in some way?
>
> Attached is truss output, in case it helps.

I *just* converted everything here over to maildir and ended up not using
this method because convert-tool doesn't seem to be reading the
dovecot.conf file (at least in beta3).  Since you mention truss and your
error message looks exactly like mine, I'm going to make the leap that
you too are using Solaris, which doesn't have flock(), and without some
sort of change convert-tool won't work...

I would have tried to debug it but unfortunately my conversion window was
on top of me and I ended up justing using mb2md for all 5900 of my users
<sigh type=heavy>.

Regards,

-Jeff