[Dovecot] Shared namespaces

Mark Lidstone mlidstone at ngal.co.uk
Fri Mar 17 18:03:35 EET 2006

Hi all,

I'm trying to replace the "Public Folders" functionality in Exchange server.  At first I thought it'd be something easily do-able with an IMAP server so I immediately thought of Dovecot.  I setup what I though would work and things started to go a little screwy with subscription settings and the like.

I started off by making a public maildir folder (in /home/public/Maildir) and setting the namespaces up in /usr/local/etc/dovecot.conf like this:

	namespace private {
		separator = /
		prefix = INBOX/
		location = maildir:%h/Maildir
		inbox = yes
	}

	namespace public {
		separator = /
		prefix = Public/
		location = maildir:/home/public/Maildir
		inbox = no
		hidden = no
	}

The folder /home/public/Maildir has owner root:users and mode 770, and the file dovecot-shared in there has the same owner and mode 660.

I logged with Thunderbird as user 1 and everything seems to work fine.  However, when I logged in as user 2 I was getting all kinds of errors.  On checking the permissions of /home/public/Maildir/subscriptions it was user1:user1 with mode 600.

So then I thought "well, I'll change it to user1:users 660 and then everyone should be able to change it".  I was very wrong.  Whenever someone changed it, the ownership changed to userx:userx 600.  Even when I tried setting the ownership to root:users and mode to 640, anyone could change it and set it to their own name (thus preventing anyone else from using it).

To be perfectly honest, I'd ideally like to give people separate subscription settings anyway.  I thought about symlinking the folders in, but that makes it a manual process to add new folders to everyone's maildirs.

Can anyone please give me any pointers?

Many thanks,

Mark Lidstone
IT Administrator

BMT Nigel Gee & Associates Ltd
Floors 1-3, Building 14,
Shamrock Quay,
William Street,
Southampton
SO14 5QL
UK

Tel: 023 8022 6655
Fax: 023 8022 8855

Visit Our Website: <http://www.ngal.co.uk>

CONFIDENTIAL

The information contained in this e-mail and any attachment is
confidential.  It is intended only for the named addressee(s).  If you
are not the named addressee please notify the sender immediately and
do not disclose, copy or distribute the contents to any other person
other than the intended addressee(s).

VIRUSES

The contents of an attachment to this e-mail may contain software
viruses which could damage your own computer system.  While BMT Nigel Gee
and Associates Ltd has taken every reasonable precaution to minimise
this risk, we cannot accept liability for any damage which you sustain
as a result of software viruses.  You should carry out your own virus
checks before opening the attachment.