[Dovecot] Imap Timeouts

Dean Blackburn dean.blackburn at viz.com
Thu Mar 23 09:48:13 EET 2006

I'm running beta3 (upgraded from beta1) on OS X 10.4.4, and we're
basically seeing two problems:

1) total imap/dovecot crash after a period of repeated "too many files
open" errors... Restarting fixes it, but we'll see if increasing the
open files limit is the answer or not... Never run into this with
anything before, so I'm not confident;

2) individual user accounts will become inaccessible occasionally when
multiple clients are hitting the account at once (checking from home and
work) - deleting all dovecot* files in the maildir fixes this, but... I
thought Dovecot was supposed to catch this kind of thing and regenerate
the files by itself? I think this is also the "locking problem" in the
sense that once this occurs, the directory will fill up with lockfiles
for each message the user unsuccessfully tries to load from the client side.

-deano