[Dovecot] dovecot died

Marten Lehmann lehmann at cnm.de
Fri Mar 24 18:32:05 EET 2006

Hello,

> you may be able to band-aid things by running dovecot from xinetd and
> using the 'instances' [0] keyword.

no, never again! I'm stigmatised by xinetd. I once tried to run the
qmail-pop3-service (which is very simple and not very
ressourcen-intensive compared to dovecot-imap) with xinetd and even with
setting all options to unlimited, xinetd wasn't able to handle all the
connections. Although it should work at any CPU load and no matter how
many users connecting, it simply didn't accept any more connections
while just 80-90 users were connecting concurrently. So xinetd
definetely isn't a choice. (Btw.: I switched to tcpserver from djb to
run qmail-pop3d which worked perfectly. But tpcserver doesn't have a
connections_per_user option).

I hope Timo will add this feature in the next time, it shouldn't be that
hard to track the ip-addresses that connections come from and block them
if limits are reached.

Regards
Marten