[Dovecot] Re: Using mbox INBOX with Maildirs?

Daniel Watts d at nielwatts.com
Wed Mar 22 19:57:41 EET 2006

> Thanks for everybody's tips on the mbox to maildirs
> converter.  I was unaware that Maildirs was a common
> format not specific to dovecot, so I was searching
> using a dovecot keyword.
>
> I'm having this problem now with inboxes.  I want to
> use maildirs, but my mail is delivered to an mbox.  I
> can't seem to get dovecot to recognize the inbox
> location.  Is something like:
>
> maildir:%h/Maildir:INBOX=/var/mail/%u impossible to
> use?
>
> What I'm trying to do is slowly merge people from
> mboxes to maildirs, so I have to use the passwd file
> per user maildirs settings with some sort of
> recognizeable inbox.
>
> I'm using sendmail as my mail server.  Do I have to
> tell that to put the mail in the right inbox format?

My first post on here:

I found this old thread and am trying in vain to achieve the same.
In short should something like the following work?:

location =
maildir:/home/virtual/%d/home/%n:INBOX=mbox:/home/virtual/%d/var/spool/mail/%n

I am trying to have my user's use MailDir within their own home folders
but Dovecot needs to read a standard MBOX format incoming mail spool file.

This seems a fairly reaonsable requirement since lots (most?) delivery
programs are used to delivering to standard mbox files.

An auxillary question: is it possible for Dovecot to 'slurp' those mbox
files into a local maildir INBOX folder to keep things fast?

Thanks for any help from an enthusiastic dovecot newbie!
Daniel