[Dovecot] Can Dovecot 'slurp' into the INBOX from a mail spool file?

Daniel Watts d at nielwatts.com
Thu Mar 23 20:00:10 EET 2006

Hi guys,

I have a system whereby I am forced to deal with mbox files of

/var/spool/mail/user1 (mbox text file)
/var/spool/mail/user2 (mbox text file)
etc

Their mail homes are maildir format in:

/home/user1/Maildir/{cur,new,tmp}
/home/user2/Maildir/{cur,new,tmp}
etc

I can set things up so that the mbox inbox is shown using namespaces:

namespace private {
   separator = /
   prefix =
   location = maildir:/home/virtual/%d/home/%n/Maildir/
}
namespace private {
   separator = /
   prefix = mail/
   inbox = yes
   hidden = no
   location =
mbox:/home/virtual/%d/home/%n/mail/:INBOX=/home/virtual/%d/var/spool/mail/%n
}

This gives a rather odd folder structure as follows:

INBOX
Sent
Drafts
Trash
mail/
   --- INBOX
myfolder1
myfolder2

Both of those INBOXes are actually the same folder.

I'd ideally like to hide the mbox namespace entirely so that the user
does not see any mbox folders.

UW IMAP, with it's mbx format, allows you to just drop in a file called
INBOX in mbx format and it will 'slurp' the /var/spool/mail/usersmbox
file into the mbx INBOX.

Has/could Dovecot have a similar feature whereby you specify a spool
folder which is then 'slurped' into the local maildir INBOX?

Not sure if I'm being clear enough here - do let me know if not!

Much thanks,
Daniel