[Dovecot] Corrupted transaction log file dovecot.index.log: unexpected end of file while reading header

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sat Mar 25 13:33:24 EET 2006

On Thu, 2006-03-16 at 10:55 +0100, Matthias Saou wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using dovecot 1.0.0beta3 on a RHEL4 x86_64 server. I'm seeing this
> error each and every time a user checks his emails :
>
> Mar 15 18:19:34 s1 dovecot: pop3-login: Login: user=<user at domain>, method=PLAIN, rip=::ffff:195.x.x.x, lip=::ffff:195.x.x.x
> Mar 15 18:19:34s1 dovecot: pop3(user at domain): Corrupted transaction log file /home/vmail/domain/user/dovecot.index.log: unexpected end of file while reading header
> Mar 15 18:19:34 s1 dovecot: pop3(user at domain): Logout. top=0/0, retr=0/ del=0/2, size=1213
>
> From my basic testing, this seemed harmless. But after putting this in production, it appears that when emails are retrieved, long ones always get truncated after a few kB, changing attachments into garbage :-(
>
> Has anyone seen this problem before? Any ideas what could be causing this?

Those problems most likely aren't related though. There have been some
problems earlier with fetching large mails getting aborted unexpectedly,
but I haven't heard from those kind of problems for a long time now.. If
you could figure out what exactly happens from client's point of view,
it would help. Meaning does it get stuck or does connection just get
closed? You're only using pop3 and not imap?