[Dovecot] new mails don't always show

Bjoern Rost b.rost at portrix.net
Wed Mar 29 12:19:45 EEST 2006

> > I am having some trouble with dovecot (0.99.14) and maildir. Some users
> > are reporting that sometimes, they don't get (pop3, various clients) new
> > mails for a while even though they should.
>
> If you're using JFS, that has a bug which causes this.
>
> If you're using NFS there might also be problems related this.

nothing fancy. just plain local ext3 with dir_index configured as
described in the documentation

> Anyway, 0.99.x probably had other bugs which could cause this, 1.0betas
> should work better..

not at all. I upgraded (to beta3) yesterday and it looks like it is
worse now. Some users don't get any new messages reported even though
there are 10-20 or even more. They arrive in /new/, get moved to /cur/
with status 'unread' but they are not offered/transferred to the client.

After some time (hours usually), mails finally show up in the client.
This still happens with pop3/imap and various clients.

At about the same time the mails show up again, this appears in the
logfile:

dovecot: 2006-03-29 10:58:07 Error: imap(USER):
Maildir /mailhome/USER/Maildir sync: UID inserted in the middle of
mailbox (824 > 804, file = msg.4AA4:2,
)

Any ideas?

Thanks