[Dovecot] Assertion failed

Jonathan Knight jonathan at cs.keele.ac.uk
Tue May 2 14:48:54 EEST 2006

We're in a bit of a panic here as we're getting a lot of errors along
the lines of:

May  2 12:39:00 lenny dovecot: IMAP(XXXXX): file mbox-sync-rewrite.c:
line 106 (mbox_sync_headers_add_space): assertion failed: (start_pos <
data_size)

We didn't see this until our mail servers went under a full load and now
we've trashed the ability of nearly all our users to read email.

We saw this first under 1.0Beta3 and we've tried building 1.0Beta7 and
its made no difference.  I've tried fiddling with the "dirty" settings
for the indices and banning mmap to see if there's any way way of
avoiding the broken code, but with no luck.

We're running White Box EL4 (2.6 Linux kernel)

Does anyone know a workaround or whether there is an older version that
doesn't have the bug?  We desperately need to get an email service
running and I don't want to go back to (shudder) UW-imap if I can help
it but my options are limited at the moment.

--
  ______    J.Knight at kis.keele.ac.uk     Jonathan Knight,
    /                                    Keele Information Services