[Dovecot] Assertion failed

Jonathan Knight jonathan at cs.keele.ac.uk
Tue May 2 16:43:36 EEST 2006

Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-05-02 at 12:48 +0100, Jonathan Knight wrote:
>
>> May  2 12:39:00 lenny dovecot: IMAP(XXXXX): file mbox-sync-rewrite.c:
>> line 106 (mbox_sync_headers_add_space): assertion failed: (start_pos <
>> data_size)
>>

> Hmm. Does attached patch help?

Sorry folks - I was testing out the bug with my own mailbox so I was
offline for a moment or two.

I had a flash of inspiration which has identified the cause of the
problem.  Due to an earlier mistake (not mine!) we ended up with the
students having two copies of most of their mail messages.  The bug is
triggered by trying to delete one of the duplicates.  Once the index
files are mangled there is no way back other than deleting the index
files and starting again.

I can only assume that the index code assumes that there is a unique
identifier in a mail message and doesn't allow for a complete duplicate
of a message being in a mailbox.

We didn't spot this during out test phase because we actually messed up
the students mailboxes as we deployed new servers with dovecot installed.

I've written some perl to fix the mailboxes, but this should probably be
addressed as it is possible to copy mail messages between folders and
end up with a duplicate so I imagine that others will find the problem,
although not on the scale that we did.

--
  ______    J.Knight at kis.keele.ac.uk     Jonathan Knight,
    /                                    Keele Information Services