[Dovecot] Re: managesieve daemon

Gerald Dachs gda at gmx.de
Tue May 2 17:32:35 EEST 2006

> Gerald Dachs wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am currently working on a managesieve daemon, so that I can use the
>> squirrelmail plugin avelsieve together with dovecot-lda. Without this
>> I can't migrate from cyrus to dovecot. For several reasons I don't use
>> the timsieved from cyrus and build it from scratch. Is this interesting
>> for somebody else?
>>
>> Gerald
>>

> It is of interest to us; we are a small company: SarVision (7 people)
> but due to quite heavy internet data/server requirements we do own &
> manage our own server, and thus also our own mail server. We have just
> migrated to postfix/dovecot (using dovecot-lda) and tough we do not use
> sieve yet, we are definitely interested in a dovecot oriented
> implementation of a sieve daemon.

Only to make things clear, dovecot-lda doesn't need my daemon to
process a sieve script, it handles it already fine.
The daemon is needed by frontends like avelsieve or imap clients
like mulberry (who knows more?) to handle the scripts. That means:
 - authenticate the user
 - show available scripts
 - transfer a script to the client
 - save a script from the client
 - set the active script
 - and some more
Not everybody of us want that our users have to login to their unix
accounts and edit their sieve script there.

Gerald