[Dovecot] Unoffical Survey - What MTA/Spam filtering do you use?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed May 3 01:46:47 EEST 2006

On Fri, 2006-04-21 at 17:02 -0400, Mark E. Mallett wrote:
> > >   - mvmda, mail delivery agent with a powerful scripting language,
> > >     including a SIEVE submode (which can be used exclusively or
> > >     in conjunction with non-sieve elements);
> >
> > So when can this use Dovecot directly? ;)
>
> I use it with dovecot now :)
>
> If you mean... updating the indexes and so forth, I have been thinking
> about that again lately.  I still think the best thing would be for you
> to supply a small utility that can be used by other delivery agents
> (or whatever) to either:
>
>   - dumbly deliver a message to a folder, but in a way that's friendly
>     to dovecot's indexing, a la uw's tool the name of which escapes me;
> or

I guess dovecot-lda already does this.. And I guess I should fix the
deliver binary that comes with Dovecot before v1.0.

>   - accept some info that would update the indexes for a specific message.

This probably wouldn't work that well. With mbox it kind of already does
that when opening the mailbox the next time..

> Alternatively I was thinking about adding support for dovecot-style
> indexing, but I'd first have to understand those indexes.  The wiki is
> empty on the subject and I haven't yet attempted to scour the code.
> One problem here is that the delivery agent and dovecot would both have
> to agree about what is being indexed;

I think you'd pretty much have to use my mail-storage.h API the same way
as Dovecot-LDA does. In any case it's not worth it to try to write code
which directly updates the indexes.

> I suppose the delivery agent could
> read the dovecot.conf file but I'd like to avoid that level of connection.

Dovecot-LDA does that, but I hate it too. I don't really see a better
solution though. Dovecot 2.0 has a nice config process where the LDA can
nicely ask for its configuration. :)