[Dovecot] Sending email over IMAP?

Marc Perkel marc at perkel.com
Thu May 4 19:05:07 EEST 2006

I'm advocating for a change in the IMAP specification to allow outgoing
email to be sent over the same connection as incoming rather that having
to separately configure outgoing SMTP email. There are two significant
advantages to this concept.

1) It would greatly simplify setup for clients as they would only have
to configure one connection rather than two.

2) Spam reduction by authentication. The sending of email over the same
connection tells the server that the person who is the sender of the
email also has demonstrated they have access to read the account. This
would be a powerful whitelisting criteria for eliminating fake senders.

So - my question. It seems that it would be easy to do this if there
were a standard. Dovecot would merely hand incoming email off to the
outgoing SMTP server. Besides the difficulty of getting a standard
created, am I right on my assumptions?