[Dovecot] Sending email over IMAP?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu May 4 19:12:13 EEST 2006

On Thu, 2006-05-04 at 11:05, Marc Perkel wrote:
> I'm advocating for a change in the IMAP specification to allow outgoing
> email to be sent over the same connection as incoming rather that having
> to separately configure outgoing SMTP email. There are two significant
> advantages to this concept.
>
> 1) It would greatly simplify setup for clients as they would only have
> to configure one connection rather than two.

Why would it be easier for a client to add a new sending method
than to simply have an option to use the same credentials for
smtp auth for sending.

> 2) Spam reduction by authentication. The sending of email over the same
> connection tells the server that the person who is the sender of the
> email also has demonstrated they have access to read the account. This
> would be a powerful whitelisting criteria for eliminating fake senders.

Smtp auth already handles this.

> So - my question. It seems that it would be easy to do this if there
> were a standard. Dovecot would merely hand incoming email off to the
> outgoing SMTP server. Besides the difficulty of getting a standard
> created, am I right on my assumptions?

Most current MUA's already handle smtp authentication and
ssl.  Why make things worse with yet another standard?

--
 Les Mikesell
  lesmikesell at gmail.com