[Dovecot] Bug in yesterday's CVS..

Apps Lists appslists at neonova.net
Fri May 5 18:32:45 EEST 2006

> On Tue, 2006-05-02 at 10:00 -0400, Apps Lists wrote:
>> I'm doing some testing with yesterday's CVS code and believe I've
>> found a bug.
>>
>> In SquirrelMail, I get 5 messages in INBOX (doesn't matter how).  I
>> click "Toggle All" then "Delete".  All 5 messages move to Trash.
>>
>> The Trash folder gets a link "expunge".  I click that and get the
>> following error:
>>
>> ERROR : Bad or malformed request.
>> Query:STORE 1:6 +FLAGS (\Deleted)
>> Server responded: Error in IMAP command STORE: Invalid messageset
>>
>> There are 5 messages in Trash, not 6.
>
> So that's a client bug..
>
>> After this error is displayed, I see the following in syslog:
>>
>> May  2 09:37:24 dev3 dovecot: IMAP(jtest): Fixed index file
>> /var/mailstore/72/af/375887/Maildir/.Trash/dovecot.index:
>> first_recent_uid_lowwater 10 -> 9
>>
>> (this might not actually be the right message for the error, but it's
>> always first_recent_uid_lowwater getting decremented by 1)
>>
>> If I hit refresh in the browser, I can then click Expunge without
>> issue once first_recent_uid_lowwater is fixed.
>>
>> I am able to replicate this easily in NFS, GFS (cluster) and local
>> disk.
>
> I did lots of changes in last couple of days. Can you still reproduce
> this?

Hi Timo.   I think the two items above are related.  I'll test today and
see if I can re-create it.

I've found some serious issues with GFS using the DLM locking scheme...
all of the "fcntl file doesn't exist errors" only happen in DLM.  I
switched the cluster over to GLUM yesterday and ran my tests on Dovecot
with no ill effects whatsoever.   I'm hoping to switch back to DLM today
and see if things go unstable again.

I'm beginning to wonder if the last batch of gdb traces I sent you have
something to do with the DLM locking mechanism for GFS in a cluster.

I'll have more information soon.

Steve