[Dovecot] Recommended FS for Dovecot Maildir

Daniel Watts d at nielwatts.com
Fri May 5 19:24:29 EEST 2006

> Brent Clark wrote:
>> Daniel Watts wrote:
>>> Could I possibly have some feedback on what the recommended
>>> filesystems are? I've heard of ReiserFS but was wondering what other
>>> options there are and how they compare.
>>

> Reiser has traditionally been a very good choice for maildir because
> it has infinite inodes, it is very fast on directories with large
> numbers of files, and it does sub allocation so small files take less
> space. And it's very fast. Maildir is the area where Reiser does best.

Thanks for this - I have heared many maildir admins laud Reiser. How is
it for ongoing stability and reliability? I suppose with using any
non-mainstream technology (ie ext stuff) the admins concern is that it
is less well tested for bugs and corruption.

Eg i see many people saying xfs is great but who wouldn't think of
having it put into production.