[Dovecot] Sending email over IMAP?

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Fri May 5 22:39:28 EEST 2006

On Friday, May 05, 2006 8:42 AM -0700 Marc Perkel <marc at perkel.com> wrote:

> I'm also am thinking about senders like Paypal and banks who are often
> spoofed. If the limited all their outbound email to sending over IMAP
> then they might be able to create a more secure sytem and because of
> their restrictiveness be able to somehow create a less spoofable more
> identifyable system.

<http://www.openspf.org/>

MTA's can check SPF records when accepting mail and add headers to indicate
whether the sending MTA has valid SPF. For example, sendmail together with
a suitable milter (I use MIMEDefang and Spamassassin) can do this. Your MUA
then needs to check the result and present it as evidence of spoofing.