[Dovecot] Recommended FS for Dovecot Maildir

borsilinux at gmx.net borsilinux at gmx.net
Sat May 6 16:41:11 EEST 2006

On Fri, May 05, 2006 at 17:24:29 +0100, Daniel Watts wrote:
> >Brent Clark wrote:
> >>
> >Reiser has traditionally been a very good choice for maildir because
> >it has infinite inodes, it is very fast on directories with large
> >numbers of files, and it does sub allocation so small files take less
> >space. And it's very fast. Maildir is the area where Reiser does best.
>
> Thanks for this - I have heared many maildir admins laud Reiser. How is
> it for ongoing stability and reliability? I suppose with using any
> non-mainstream technology (ie ext stuff) the admins concern is that it
> is less well tested for bugs and corruption.

Hi,
when i switched from mbox to Maildir half a year ago i wanted to put my
"Mail-Partition" on a reiserfs. The migration failed 3 times due to
reiserfs-corruption. I don't remember the exact error message, sorry.
Admitted, the transition put a heavy load on the fs (~4GB of Mails),
still it should have worked. I reformatted the partition with XFS and
all problems went away :).

Before that i used and recommended ReiserFS, now i use XFS whenever
possible and didn't have problems until now...