[Dovecot] Encrypted IMAP only from Internet, unencrypted POP3 from internal network

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon May 8 16:02:07 EEST 2006

On Mon, 2006-05-08 at 02:51, Rainer Frey wrote:

> Additionally, we now want to allow encrypted IMAP from the internet (for
> some defined accounts), preferably with TLS (which means I open Port
> 143 in our firewall).

Keep in mind that you can't keep the users from sending plain
text passwords.  All you can do on the server side is make it
not work when they do - but that doesn't mean they'll stop
doing it.  You might be better off using imaps on port 993.
Also, I've found encrypted pop to be handy for some devices
that don't do imap (like my sprint treo phone).

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com