[Dovecot] Problem with "INDEX" in default_mail_env, and pop3

Andrea Dell'Amico adellam at sevenseas.org
Mon May 8 18:47:28 EEST 2006

Hello all,
I've a problem with maildir, pop3 and relocated indexes.

My configuration is:

default_mail_env = maildir:%h/Maildir:INDEX=/var/dovecot/index/%
u:CONTROL=/var/dovecot/control/%u

I created the "/var/dovecot/{index,control}/%u" directories, each one
have rights 700 and the ownership is assigned to the user.
When the pop clients connect, they fail with the error

dovecot: POP3(<username>): mkdir(/var/dovecot/index/<username>/.INBOX)
failed: Permission denied

I'm using dovecot 1.0.beta7, authentication is pam. I'm using the
following settings, too:

valid_chroot_dirs
= /home:/var/spool/mail:/var/dovecot/index:/var/dovecot/control

(last two directories added when i changed the "default_mail_env"
setting).

Does anybody know what I'm doing wrong?
I need to move indexes in a file system without quota.

Thanks in advance,
andrea

--
"Thinking meat! You're asking me to believe in thinking meat!"
- Terry Bisson <http://www.terrybisson.com/meat.html>