[Dovecot] Dovecot IMAP not putting size in maildir filenames

Bill Boebel bill at webmail.us
Mon May 8 18:52:18 EEST 2006

On Fri, May 5, 2006 16:47, Timo Sirainen said:
> On Fri, 2006-05-05 at 15:34 -0400, Bill Boebel wrote:
> > I notice that when you move a message from one maildir folder to
> > another, Dovecot drops the size information ("S=") from the filename.
>
> I guess it should do that.. Although I'd like it to be optional in some
> way. Perhaps it could be done only if quota plugin is loaded.

That sounds like the right way to handle this.

> > Dovecot also
> > does not add the size info to filenames after it gets it via stat().
>
> But I don't think it should do this, because the file's base name
> changes then which I think is a bad thing. Does Courier do it?

I tested with Courier, and it adds the size ("S=") to the file name when
moving mail from folder to folder, and from one IMAP account to another.
But Courier does not add the size to the file name when it does a stat()
on an existing file that does not already have it in the name.

Bill