[Dovecot] Dovecot 1.0beta7: STARTTLS/SSL not wanting to start

Mike Brudenell pmb1 at york.ac.uk
Tue May 9 11:41:25 EEST 2006

Greetings -

I have been looking at Dovecot with a view to migrating us to it from the
Washington IMAP server on our Sun systems.

To start our testing we first of all installed the pre-built version of
Dovecot from the Blastwave (www.blastwave.org) community supported packaged
software site.

This was Dovecot 0.99.10.4 and we successfully got it working in our test
environment: at first just with regular IMAP, then with STARTTLS too.  For
the latter we installed a properly signed certificate and it works fine:
mail clients can connect, use STARTTLS and then use the encrypted
connection.

I then downloaded the source code for Dovecot 1.0beta7 and built this
myself from source, against the OpenSSL 0.9.8 libraries.  I configured
Dovecot to use the same certificate and key files as had been used for the
earlier version we had just tried out.

Whilst 1.0beta7 works fine for regular IMAP it just does not want to start
SSL using STARTTLS at all.  The error that is getting logged in the syslog
file is:

    <date etc> ... dovecot: [ID 107833 mail.warning] imap-login:
SSL_accept() failed: error:140D308A:SSL
routines:TLS1_SETUP_KEY_BLOCK:cipher or hash unavailable [ddd.ddd.ddd.ddd]

I see in the archived for the list archives that this same problem was
asked about for 1.0beta3 but without a solution I could see.  Could someone
offer any insight/help, please?

Cheers,
Mike Brudenell

--
The Computing Service, University of York, Heslington, York Yo10 5DD, UK
Tel:+44-1904-433811  FAX:+44-1904-433740

* Unsolicited commercial e-mail is NOT welcome at this e-mail address. *