[Dovecot] Imap folders missing after updating

Eric Rostetter rostetter at mail.utexas.edu
Tue May 9 20:19:53 EEST 2006

Quoting Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>:

> On Tue, 2006-05-09 at 09:56, Eric Rostetter wrote:
>
>> > Unless I'm missing something, RHEL will have the same problem when
>> > they do the next full release that contains version-level
>> > updates to applications.
>>
>> RHEL 3.x no.  RHEL 4.x maybe.  RHEL 5.x who knows.
>
> Full version upgrades aren't supported, so I'd expect 5.x to
> contain a fairly current dovecot and you'll be on your own
> to convert anything running on your 4.x machine.  I'd be
> very surprised if your 'maybe' for 4.x includes a behavior
> changing update though - the point of these long-lived
> distros is that they don't have that kind of change and
> the side effect is that you don't get new features.

I would also be surprised, but I can't rule it out since I can't (yet)
read the future, so I decided to say 'maybe' instead.  For the same
reason (I can't read the future) I can't say anything useful about
RHEL 5.x.

>> They can either change the code to be backwards compatible, or provide
>> an automatic conversion, or (worst case) just try to document the process
>> well and alert everyone to the issues.
>>
>> In any case, it isn't as blind as someone doing the upgrade now on their
>> own.
>
> In many cases it's worse.

I guess you can read that either way.  If they backport it, it is
indeed even more "blind" to the end user.  If they don't try to
smooth over it, then they will no doubt write the changes up well
and it will be much less blind.  So it depends on how they do it.

In either case, I think it is "less blind" than someone trying to manage
the software on their own without doing due dilligence.

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics

Go Longhorns!