[Dovecot] Recommended FS for Dovecot Maildir

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed May 10 03:48:19 EEST 2006

On Tue, 2006-05-09 at 19:32, Wouter Van Hemel wrote:

> IIRC all typical filesystems for Linux (ext3, xfs, jfs, reiserfs) use
> directory indexing, usually by means of a b-tree.

They are optional on ext3 and I don't think they are on
by default.

> In real life, things aren't as clean-cut as in most of those generic
> benchmarks, and people tend to attach too much importance to them and
> then usually get into silly flamewars. :)

If the main use is a mail server with maildir storage the speed
of creating/deleting files is going to the the main factor.

> In the past, I've spent (wasted) quite some time benchmarking things like
> FreeBSD vs Linux, Perl vs PHP, template systems, etc. Now I believe that
> people should just pick what they feel comfortable with, because the
> differences are often not that large and it's rarely worth their time and
> money.

Well, now you can usually afford to throw a few more gigs of
RAM in and let buffering solve the problem.  That used to
be much more expensive.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com