[Dovecot] Large folders and timeouts

Alan Premselaar alien at 12inch.com
Thu May 11 08:27:35 EEST 2006

Fran Fabrizio wrote:

> I have been having persistent issues with server timeouts on operations
> on large folders on our Dovecot install (1.0beta2 RPM that came with
> Fedora Core 5).  Some observations from today...
>
> I have a Maildir folder with 38,000 messages (it is my Spam folder,
> naturally :-).  In Thunderbird 1.5.0.2, if I click on that folder, it
> slowly but steadily downloads the headers and after 3-4 minutes, shows
> me the contents.  So far, so good.  If I then select all the messages
> and click Delete to delete them, that operation times out after about 1
> minute.  If I then click on my Trash folder after some number of minutes
> has passed, I see that those messages are now both in my Trash and in
> the original folder - I believe this is because Thunderbird first asks
> for a COPY over to Trash, and then asks for a STORE +FLAG \\Deleted on
> the copy that is still in the original folder.  It appears that the COPY
> commands are working but the STORE commands are not since the connection
> is timing out before they run.
>
> I thought I'd try on another mail client, so I tried Squirrelmail.  I
> set it to show 1000 messages per page.  It does this just fine.  Then I
> set it to 4,000 messages per page.  Then I click on a folder with 12,000
> messages, and I get this:
>
> ERROR: Connection dropped by IMAP server.
> Query: SORT (ARRIVAL) ISO-8859-1 ALL
>
> My questions are 1. what is the likely cause? and 2. will upgrading to a
> newer beta address any of this?  I'd prefer to wait until FC5 has an
> updated RPM if possible.  Our mail is stored on an NFS store.  (I know
> NFS is slow and that this might be part of the cause.)  However, it
> seems that the timeouts I am having are more related to times when there
> is no data flowing between the server and client.  Note that the
> timeouts happened when the server was doing a COPY and when the server
> was doing a SORT but not when the client was downloading 38,000
> headers.  I'm just at a loss for what to look into next.  I don't want
> to just say "NFS is slow" and live with it if this really has some other
> cause.  :-)
>
> So, anyone have any thoughts as to other possible causes?
>
> Thunderbird has no option for setting the length of timeout from the
> client side, so there's nothing I can do from that end.
>
> Thanks,
> Fran

Fran,

  You don't mention the specifics of your setup, but here are some very
general things to consider.

1) NFS is typically slow... definitely slower than local storage,
although if it was typically *THAT* slow, it wouldn't be a viable
storage solution for a majority of places that use it.

2) when dealing with any filesystem, typically write speeds will be
slower than read speeds.  the fact that the timeout is ocurring during a
COPY makes me think your problems may be related to write speeds.

However, unless the SORT command is doing disk writes (which i don't
imagine it is) then this may not be the cause; *unless* you're running a
server that's really underpowered in the RAM dept. and you're doing a
lot of paging.  especially if you're paging to a single disk mechanism
that isn't all that fast.

So, without further details of your system this is about as far as I can
speculate, but it seems that either your system is significantly
underpowered, or it's mis-configured.

hope this helps.

Alan