[Dovecot] dovecot-lda and sieve filtering (SMTP is Postfix)

Der Olli olli at business-security.de
Fri May 12 11:34:41 EEST 2006

Der Olli wrote:
> Hello list.
> I've got a working Dovecot with Postfix and MySQL-support but
> everything from the capabilities of sieve isn't working except one
> thing: Sorting emails to folders works fine. But no vacation, no
> reject, no redirect. I don't get any errors in the logs. Verbose
> logging is enabled.
> I compiled both from newest cvs-sources but also tried older
> combinations (nightly snapshots). Always the same result and there's
> no .dovecot.sieve.err so script is okay. If it is not,
> .dovecot.sieve.err will be generated. I've tested this :)
> Anyone here who has a working sieve implementation with dovecot-lda?
> Where do I have to search? Is it a configuration problem? Where can I
> configure which sending mechanism dovecot-lda should use? Is it a
> local sendmail binary? Where does dovecot-lda search for it. Is it a
> SMTP-server? So there's one on port 25 at the local machine.
>
> Greetz, Olli

It seems that I found the problem. After searching in the sourcecode of
dovecot-lda (smtpclient.c) I found that path to sendmail is hardcoded to
/usr/lib/sendmail. In my system (www.linuxfromscratch.org) there was the
path /usr/sbin/sendmail.So a symbolic link helped me ....
I think, it would be a good idea, to put such things in a configuration
file. Did I miss something? Is there one? If yes, what are the
configurable options?
Another good thing could be to simple test the existance of
/usr/lib/sendmail and generate an errorlog entry, if it is missing.

Regards, Olli