[Dovecot] 1.0beta8 won't start: Fatal: Protocol imaps given more than once

Mike Brudenell pmb1 at york.ac.uk
Fri May 12 15:29:10 EEST 2006

Greetings -

I've just built Dovecot 1.0beta8 and find it refuses to start.  This under
Solaris 10 on an Intel-based Sun system.  The error message Dovecot
displays (on standard error) in response to
    /usr/local/sbin/dovecot
is
    Fatal: Protocol imaps given more than once

I've checked through my configuration file and the only mention of "imaps"
is here:

    # Protocols we want to be serving:
    #  imap imaps pop3 pop3s
    protocols = imap imaps

The same settings file worked OK with 1.0beta7.  I've also tried using the
standard dovecot-example.conf that comes with 1.0beta8 which has the
"protocols" line commented out and, after adding appropriate settings for
"ssl_cert_file" and "ssl_key_file", still have the same problem.

I popped a few dubugging i_info() calls into src/master/main.c to try and
see what was going on and the output was as follows:

    Info: set->protocols = >imap imaps<
    Info: imap: *fd = -1
    Info: imaps: *fd = 0
    Fatal: Protocol imaps given more than once

The first line is displaying the value of the keywords in set->protocols

The second and third are within the if/then/else sequence: the first for
the "imap" keyword and the second for the "imaps" keyword.

Then comes the fatal error, caused by the "fd" variable not being equal to
-1 (it is "0" for "imaps") above.

Changing the dovecot.conf file to read
    protocols = imap
lets Dovecot start up OK.  Changing it to
    protcols = imaps
causes it to fail in the same way as before(!).

Seems to be a problem with the initialisation of set->ssl_listen_fd
therefore, as this should apparently be -1?  Is this likely to be something
I've got wrong (wouldn't have thought so as 1.0beta7 is happy with the same
config file) or is there a problem in 1.0beta8?

Cheers,
Mike B-)

--
The Computing Service, University of York, Heslington, York Yo10 5DD, UK
Tel:+44-1904-433811  FAX:+44-1904-433740

* Unsolicited commercial e-mail is NOT welcome at this e-mail address. *