[Dovecot] Semi-OT: Backing up maildir

Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC chad at shire.net
Mon May 15 06:29:17 EEST 2006

On May 10, 2006, at 6:29 PM, Shayne Hardesty wrote:

>   We switched our mail server over from mbox to maildir a few
> months ago and couldn't be happier - the performance under normal
> load is incredible.  However we now have a problem with backup..
> Typically we would run tar on the mail server, sending its output
> to another server via ssh..  Like this: tar cfp - /home | gzip |
> ssh other.server (cd /backups && tar xfp -)..  I have tried
> gzipping the stream on the source side, gzipping on the
> destination, and running without gzip, all three take an amazingly
> long time to complete (> 14 hours).  Ours is a modest server with
> about 1300 users, about 300GB of mail total.  The whole thing sits
> on hardware RAID-10, so I'm primarily guarding against a MAJOR
> hardware failure, a config blunder, or a hacker wiping out files.
> How do you guys back up your maildir?  I've considered exporing the
> maildir with NFS and backing it up from another server..  Any
> opinions on that?

I am on FreeBSD with ufs2.  Don't know what you Penguin folks have
that would do similar.  ufs2 supports "snapshots" and I just do a
dump/restore with the -L option on dump, which triggers a snapshot.
I dump to a file on another disk and gzip it (in a pipe).  19Gb takes
less than an hour and the snapshot ensures consistency.

I like the ZFS idea and am planning on implementing that when our
backend switches (if it does -- in planning stages now) to Solaris
10...  Similar things are available with ZFS.

Chad

> Thanks,
> Shayne

---