[Dovecot] Missing mails after folder renaming

Bob & Sabine von Knobloch von.knobloch at t-online.de
Mon May 15 14:49:29 EEST 2006

Dear List,
I seem to have created myself a problem to which I can't find an answer.
I am using Dovecot (0.99.13-4.FC2 on Fedora Core 2) with Mozilla
Thunderbird on Windows XP and Linux as IMAP client software.
I renamed a folder to a name that included spaces (it fitted the pupose
better), then later realised that I would have to change my procmail
rules to suit. As I wasn't sure what procmail would do with such folder
names I renamed the folder back to it's original short name (all this
changing was done in Thunderbird).

The result is that all subfolders under the renamed folder exist in both
forms:
eg "Computer.SubjectA" and "Computer Projects.SubjectA", but the second
versions are not seen by Thunderbird although they contain all my old
mails (new mails are correctly delivered to the short name folders). I
have tried to move the mails in these folders back to the short name
folders but the indexing system (I assume) does not 'see' these maildir
files. How can I fool the system into seeing all the old mails?

Of course, I would like to know why the second renaming didn't work but
don't have enough information to know if it's Thunderbird or Dovecot
that isn't working correctly.

As a second question, my Windows clients run in an NT domain (Samba)
with roaming user profiles. The pathnames for some users become quite
long and Windows throws a 'path too long' error when saving/loading the
user profile from the DC. Is there a way of limiting the depth of folder
nesting under Dovecot to avoid this problem?

I have tried to search for answers but haven't found any yet. If there
is already some information, I would be glad of a pointer to it.

I am very pleased with the performance of Dovecot in all respects,
thanks for the program.

Bob von Knobloch.