[Dovecot] configure change for 1.0.beta8

Mike Brudenell pmb1 at york.ac.uk
Fri May 19 11:14:07 EEST 2006

Greetings -

--On 19 May 2006 06:48:33 +1000 grant beattie <grant at grunta.com> wrote:

> I disagree with adding /usr/sfw to the default paths that are
> searched. what if you have another installation of it somewhere else
> and want to use that one? this approach closes doors for other sysadmins
> who may not wish to use /usr/sfw mysql.
>
> the right way to do this is to set CPPFLAGS/CFLAGS/LDFLAGS in your
> environment when you call configure. configure will then find the
> libraries and headers in exactly where you've told it to.
>
> leaving things to chance by trying to be smart about auto detecting
> stuff in configure is almost always fraught with danger, and at the
> very least it can make life difficult for others.

Could I voice my agreement with Grant: I lost nearly 2 days trying to get
Dovecot to build and work with SSL support.  Why?  Because I was trying to
use the Blastwave distribution of OpenSSL: I had remember to add the
"-I..." to the environment variable but had overlooked "-L..." (being so
used to the run-time link editor's search-path resolving these).

The trouble was that a Sun FreeWare version of OpenSSL had crept onto the
system that was older than the Blastwave one, and Dovecot's autoconfigure
scripts use of "pkg-config" had sniffed the latter out to link against.

After I'd eventually convinced myself I hadn't mucked up the certificates
etc I found the real problem and easily fixed it.

But for me the less sniffing around an autoconfigure system does to track
down libraries the better.  In my case a comiple/link time "unresolved
symbols" would have given me the clue I needed within minutes, rather than
giving me an executable that crashed when I tried to establish a secure
connection and a mystery to solve.

Cheers,
Mike B-)

--
The Computing Service, University of York, Heslington, York Yo10 5DD, UK
Tel:+44-1904-433811  FAX:+44-1904-433740

* Unsolicited commercial e-mail is NOT welcome at this e-mail address. *