[Dovecot] Thunderbird 1.5 and messages with no Date: header

grant beattie grant at grunta.com
Fri May 19 16:08:24 EEST 2006

On Fri, May 19, 2006 at 01:08:03PM +0200, Jan Kundrát wrote:

> > would it be possible for Dovecot to return INTERNALDATE instead, for
> > messages that contain no Date: header? I know this is not
> > *technically* correct, but it's a reasonable best-guess, and better
> > than returning nothing. perhaps as a client-workaround?
>
> Isn't it better to fix the MUA in question? Returning another value than
> the one present in the header structure would break RFC 3501, IMHO.
>
> Anyway, the Date header should be fixed/added by MTA (haven't read
> RFC2822 but the ENVELOPE desription in 3501 seems to confirm my
> interpretation).
>
> Anyway #2, assuming that the message hasn't arrived via SMTP (as the MTA
> would fix/add the Date header unless it's broken) and probably also not
> via COPY or APPEND, I'm not sure how would INTERNALDATE help you - if
> I'm reading the specification correctly, the behaviour is
> implementation-defined in other cases :)

using INTERNALDATE instead, in this special-case workaround, would
mean that messages don't show up with a zero date - and yes, it would
help a lot. these are messages that are arriving via SMTP, so
INTERNALDATE would represent the date that the message was delivered
to the destination mailbox.

I completely agree it would be better to fix the MUA, but what's out
there right now is broken, and a workaround for a broken client is
better than no workaround at all.

> So in short, is there a report in Thunderbird's bug tracker?

I don't know, I haven't checked yet. but that won't magically fix
existing clients that are in widespread use.

grant.