[Dovecot] Thunderbird 1.5 and messages with no Date: header

grant beattie grant at grunta.com
Fri May 19 16:24:04 EEST 2006

On Fri, May 19, 2006 at 03:16:57PM +0200, Jan Kundrát wrote:

> > using INTERNALDATE instead, in this special-case workaround, would
> > mean that messages don't show up with a zero date - and yes, it would
> > help a lot. these are messages that are arriving via SMTP, so
> > INTERNALDATE would represent the date that the message was delivered
> > to the destination mailbox.
>
> Well, fixing your SMTP's delivery agent to include the Date header seems
> better to me. Is there anything preventing you from doing that?

the MTA (Exim) is configured to always add the Delivery-Date: header,
and I'm sure I can make it add a missing Date: header.

but again, it doesn't fix it for all possible cases of where this
problem might occur (different MTAs, configurations, etc.) if we
acknowledge that the client is broken, and a suitable workaround is
possible, I don't think implementing it as a client-workaround would
be a bad thing.

> Current Dovecot's behaviour seems correct (according to the RFC 3501).

indeed. but how many perfectly RFC IMAP clients do you know of?
afaik, there aren't any? :)

grant.