[Dovecot] IMAP server <defunct> (beta 7)

Steffen Kaiser skdovecot at smail.inf.fh-bonn-rhein-sieg.de
Tue May 23 09:09:22 EEST 2006

On Mon, 22 May 2006, Graham Briggs wrote:

> Yes, I've installed OpenNTPd to fix this, but for some reason it is failing
> to adjust the clock correctly (or the terrible hardware clock on this server
> is gaining time faster than openntpd can slow it down using adjtime()).

Huh, during runtime of my Debian servers the hardware clock plays no rule
(the system time is saved to the hardware clock on shutdown and restored
from it on startup), did you configured your local clock in NTP? If so,
better drop it - or get a radio or GPS clock.

> I just thought that having dovecot die horribly when the clock is adjusted
> (using settimeofday() I assume) wasn't the most desirable behaviour.

Well, although I agree with you, many unexpected things can happen (esp.
in Unix) when you go into the past :-(

Bye,

--
Steffen Kaiser