[Dovecot] Thunderbird 1.5 and messages with no Date: header

grant beattie grant at grunta.com
Wed May 24 04:49:41 EEST 2006

On Tue, May 23, 2006 at 08:42:03PM +0200, Jan Kundrát wrote:

> > but again, it doesn't fix it for all possible cases of where this
> > problem might occur (different MTAs, configurations, etc.) if we
> > acknowledge that the client is broken, and a suitable workaround is
> > possible, I don't think implementing it as a client-workaround would
> > be a bad thing.
>
> If the incoming message doesn't contain the Date header, it isn't valid.
>  Your MDA doesn't conform the the RFC 2822, IMHO.

indeed, however, we get too much mail that has no Date: header for it
to be realistic to reject them. upon investigating, Exim has no
out-of-the-box way to add a missing Date: header, though I can craft
a configuration to do it.

the reason for asking for a way to implement this workaround in
Dovecot is so that existing messages and MUAs can "just work".

> >>Current Dovecot's behaviour seems correct (according to the RFC 3501).
> >

> > indeed. but how many perfectly RFC IMAP clients do you know of?
> > afaik, there aren't any? :)
>
> I'm writing one :)

:)

g.