[Dovecot] Apple Mail and too many open files?

Alan Schmitt alan.schmitt at polytechnique.org
Wed May 24 11:43:53 EEST 2006

On 24 mai 06, at 10:10, Jeff Turner wrote:

> Alan,
>
> On Wed, May 24, 2006 at 07:42:34AM +0200, Alan Schmitt wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> For two days in a row, I've noticed that my dovecot server (hosted on
>> a PowerMac running OS X) has stopped working, with a bunch of error
>> messages in /var/log/mail.log like:
>> May 24 07:31:10 top dovecot: pipe() failed: Too many open files
>
> How many is a bunch?
>
> Dovecot once died on me after an upgrade, because the logfile had
> filled
> up the 7Gb partition with millions of these errors:
>
> dovecot: Feb 27 03:55:46 Error: pipe() failed: Too many open files
> dovecot: Feb 27 03:55:46 Error: pipe() failed: Too many open files
> dovecot: Feb 27 03:55:46 Error: pipe() failed: Too many open files

I got about 600 MB of them, but it was clearly running out of files.
I've fetched the latest beta and recompiled, so it might work better.
I did not get the error you had.

Thanks for the suggestion,

Alan

--
Alan Schmitt <http://alan.petitepomme.net/>

The hacker: someone who figured things out and made something cool
happen.
.O.
..O
OOO