[Dovecot] dovecot can't start!

Mike Brudenell pmb1 at york.ac.uk
Wed May 24 16:56:45 EEST 2006

Greetings -

--On 23 May 2006 13:45:05 +0400 "Oleg D." <dzoleg at rsute.ru> wrote:

> CW> What do you have as your "protocols" line? Make sure there's no
> "imaps" CW> or "pop3s". Also, make sure you don't have any "ssl_listen"
> options set.
>
> CW> Also, do you ever get the "SSL parameters regeneration completed" line
> CW> in your log file (it can take several minutes on a slow machine)? If
> CW> it's decided (however wrongly) to do the SSL paramters generation, you
> CW> won't be able to login until it's finished.
>
> CW> Chris
>
> "protocols = pop3" only
>
>> "ssl_listen" options set
> dont't set.
>

> BTW
> If I have enable SSL and set "protocols = pop3s" only
> I see "Fatal: Protocol pop3s given more than once"

Hmmm... I was seeing a problem rather like this with 1.0beta8 under Solaris
with Sun's compiler: only it was with the IMAP protocol rather than POP.

The problem there was an assumption Tio had made that everyone was using a
C99-compatible compiler.  Apparently this handles some aspects of variable
initialisation differently from earlier C compilers.

In my case adding a command-line option to the C compiler to flip it into
C99 mode seemed to solve the problem.  The option for our compiler was
"-xc99" -- however if your compiler has such an option it may have a
different name.  If you check the manual page for your C compiler you may
find an equivalent option to try.

However another solution was provided by Timo in the form of a simple patch
that made changes to a couple of source files.  I hope Timo doesn't mind:
I'm re-sending his patch as an attachment to this message as it is tiny.
You could try applying it and rebuilding Dovecot.

Cheers,
Mike Brudenell

--
The Computing Service, University of York, Heslington, York Yo10 5DD, UK
Tel:+44-1904-433811  FAX:+44-1904-433740

* Unsolicited commercial e-mail is NOT welcome at this e-mail address. *