Fwd: Re[4]: [Dovecot] dovecot can't start!

Oleg D. dzoleg at rsute.ru
Wed May 24 20:14:12 EEST 2006

Hello Chris,

CH> Quoting "Oleg D." <dzoleg at rsute.ru>:

>> MB> Hmmm... I was seeing a problem rather like this with 1.0beta8
>> under Solaris
>> MB> with Sun's compiler: only it was with the IMAP protocol rather than POP.
>>
>> MB> The problem there was an assumption Tio had made that everyone
>> was using a
>> MB> C99-compatible compiler.  Apparently this handles some aspects of
>> variable
>> MB> initialisation differently from earlier C compilers.
>>
>> MB> In my case adding a command-line option to the C compiler to flip it into
>> MB> C99 mode seemed to solve the problem.  The option for our compiler was
>> MB> "-xc99" -- however if your compiler has such an option it may have a
>> MB> different name.  If you check the manual page for your C compiler you may
>> MB> find an equivalent option to try.
>>
>> MB> However another solution was provided by Timo in the form of a
>> simple patch
>> MB> that made changes to a couple of source files.  I hope Timo doesn't mind:
>> MB> I'm re-sending his patch as an attachment to this message as it is tiny.
>> MB> You could try applying it and rebuilding Dovecot.
>>
>> MB> Cheers,
>> MB> Mike Brudenell
>>
>> But I use FreeBSD 4.11-RELEASE-p15 with native compiler.
>> Really nobody has this problem on freebsd?
>>
>> And the main - Why I can't start dovecot without SSL :)
>> Why I see in log "pop3-login: BUG: SSL initialization parameters not
>> given while they should have been"
>> even if I have "ssl_disable = yes" in dovecot.conf
>> 1.0b3 works fine.
>> This problem is main for me
>> because I don't want to use SSL.

CH> I run FreeBSD here, and my hunch is that SSL (or some form) was
CH> compiled it. Which would help explain the errors you describe.
CH> What "knobs" did you use when you built it? Did you simply take
CH> the default without examining the Makefile? My hunch is that if
CH> you take a closer look at how it was built and installed; you'll
CH> find some form of SSL/ encryption was built into it, and you'll
CH> either have to: cd /usr/ports/mail/dovecot; make deinstall;
CH> tweak the Makefile to your needs; make reinstall. Or figure out
CH> how to utilize the security method that was built in by default.
CH> Perhaps SASL2, or GSSAPI, as I see they're options in the Makefile.

CH> Best wishes. I hope this helps.

CH> --Chris H.

I tried to add --without-ssl in port's Makefile and compile dovecot without ssl.
But I have all the same seen "pop3-login: BUG: SSL initialization parameters not given while they should have been"

When I have set "ssl_disable = no" I saw another error:
"Error: SSL support not compiled in but ssl_disable=no"

WITHOUT_KQUEUE=true
WITHOUT_SASL2=true
WITHOUT_GSSAPI=true
WITHOUT_VPOPMAIL=true