[Dovecot] Bug / Problem - Dovecot and Thunderbird

wc_fbsd at xxiii.com wc_fbsd at xxiii.com
Wed May 24 19:16:25 EEST 2006

Greetings,

I've been running Dovecot for a couple years now.  Currently 1.0.b8
on FreeBSD i386.  I just switched to Mozilla Thunderbird 1.5.0.2
(windows) for an IMAP client, and am having some problems that appear
to be at least partially attributable to Dovecot.

After configuring the IMAP account, TB fetched the list of folders on
the server, but was displaying several folders that had been deleted
from the server months ago.  When I tried to access or delete the
folders from TB, it produced an error message (imap command failed,
or something similar.)  Some other folders had been moved from the
root to sub-folders -- they still showed in the root, but not the
sub-folder, thus were inaccessible.

I looked all through the client's config files, but couldn't find any
reference to them.  From a shell on the server, I also verified they
did not exist.

I discovered they were still referenced in the .subscribe file, and
had index files in .imap on the server.  I deleted those, restarted
the server processes, and refreshed the folders in TB, and the
problem was resolved.  But required manual intervention on the server.

Not sure if this is a bug or just client issue, but since those files
are maintained by Dovecot, I'm inclined to say "bug".  Disclaimer:  I
know next to nothing about the internals of IMAP!

   -Thanks,  Wayne