[Dovecot] Server settings for a busy server

Pat Hastings pat.hastings at accesst.com
Sat May 27 15:29:54 EEST 2006

Hi,

We are migrating from a windows server and i have very few stats as to
what our current concurrent usage stats are other than about 50,000
active users and 90,000 email messages a day inbound 20,000 outbound.

Anyone got some tips for tuning dovecot to handle this load?

Below is my config - do the values of login_process_size etc sound
correct?
Also my logs seem to be written out as root which seems kind of scary do
how do I / should I have these written out by the dovecot user.

Any feedback greatfully accepted.

Regards,

Pat

protocols = imap pop3
listen = *
ssl_disable = no
disable_plaintext_auth = no
shutdown_clients = yes
log_path = /var/log/dovecot/mainlog
info_log_path = /var/log/dovecot/infolog
log_timestamp = "%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S "
login_dir = /var/run/dovecot/login
login_chroot = yes
login_user = dovecot
login_process_size = 256
login_process_per_connection = no
login_processes_count = 48
login_max_logging_users = 2048
login_greeting = Email server ready.
login_log_format_elements = user=<%u> method=%m rip=%r lip=%l %c
login_log_format = %$: %s
first_valid_uid = 100
mail_extra_groups = mail
valid_chroot_dirs = /var/vmail
mail_debug = no
default_mail_env = maildir:/var/vmail/dovecoterror/%domain/%u
maildir_copy_with_hardlinks = yes
protocol imap {
}
protocol pop3 {
  pop3_reuse_xuidl = no
  pop3_uidl_format =%u
  pop3_logout_format = top=%t/%p, retr=%r/%b, del=%d/%m, size=%s
  pop3_client_workarounds = outlook-no-nuls, oe-ns-eoh
}
auth_executable = /usr/lib/dovecot/dovecot-auth
auth_verbose = yes
auth_debug = yes
auth_debug_passwords = yes
auth default {
  mechanisms = plain
  passdb pam {
  }
  passdb ldap {
    args = /etc/dovecot/dovecot-ldap.conf
  }
  userdb passwd {
  }
  userdb ldap {
    args = /etc/dovecot/dovecot-ldap.conf
  }
  user = root
}

---
[This E-mail has been scanned for viruses but it is your responsibility
to maintain up to date anti virus software on the device that you are
currently using to read this email. ]