[Dovecot] Expunge is not expunging unless called twice--revisited

Jeff Blank jb000002 at mr-happy.com
Tue May 30 05:45:12 EEST 2006

Hi,

I'm running dovecot-1.0.beta8 from FreeBSD ports, using mbox mail
store.  My problem appears to have come up on the list about a month
ago, "Expunge is not expunging unless it is called twice".  I ran
through Bill Boebel's telnet-IMAP session for myself, and I see that
his test case is now fixed (as Timo said), but mutt, for whatever
reason, uses +FLAGS.SILENT, and I'm still getting the behaviour in
Bill's original problem when I telnet and use +FLAGS.SILENT:

1 OK Logged in.
2 select INBOX
* FLAGS (\Answered \Flagged \Deleted \Seen \Draft)
* OK [PERMANENTFLAGS (\Answered \Flagged \Deleted \Seen \Draft \*)]
* Flags permitted.
* 1 EXISTS
* 1 RECENT
* OK [UNSEEN 1] First unseen.
* OK [UIDVALIDITY 1148956034] UIDs valid
* OK [UIDNEXT 4] Predicted next UID
2 OK [READ-WRITE] Select completed.
3 UID STORE 3 +FLAGS.SILENT (\Deleted)
3 OK Store completed.
4 expunge
4 OK Expunge completed.
5 expunge
* 1 EXPUNGE
* 0 RECENT
5 OK Expunge completed.

After step 4, the message is still in the mailbox with "X-Status: D";
the second expunge is required to remove it.  I seem to get the same
behaviour with Thunderbird, so is this still a dovecot problem?  (I
have Thunderbird set up to remove deleted messages immediately, not
move to trash or just mark as deleted.)

thanks much,
Jeff