[Dovecot] dovecot.index.cache

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue May 30 16:01:03 EEST 2006

On Sun, 2006-05-21 at 23:31 +1200, Fintec wrote:
> Hopefully someone can explain/help me with the dovecot.index.cache
> file.
>
> I am wanting to move a dovecot server (v1.0b7) onto a new box running
> the same version (1.0b7) of dovecot. To do this I rsync'd the maildir
> files to the new server but when I logged into the new machine through
> IMAP dovecot reported:
> IMAP(username): file index-mail.c: line 105
> (index_mail_get_fixed_field): assertion failed:
> (buffer_get_used_size(buf) == data_size)
>
> As soon as I delete the dovecot.index.cache file within the users
> mailbox this error goes away. Great, but that now I have some questions:
>
> 1) Does the dovecot.index.cache file store/cache server specific
> settings? If not why did it cause this error on the new box with exactly
> the same dovecot version and dovecot.conf?

This error is caused by moving from 32bit machine to 64bit machine. The
cache file format contains a couple of fields which depend on if Dovecot
was compiled as 32bit or 64bit binary. This is a bug and I'll fix it at
some point (fix being to delete the cache file)..

> 2) What will happen if I delete the dovecot.index.cache file for all
> users?

Nothing. Dovecot might run slightly slower until its contents are
created back from the actual mail files. Cache file contains nothing
that isn't regenerated automatically when it's not found in there.