[Dovecot] IMAP server <defunct> (beta 7)

Eric Rostetter rostetter at mail.utexas.edu
Tue May 30 17:21:57 EEST 2006

Quoting Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi>:

> On Tue, 2006-05-23 at 08:09 +0200, Steffen Kaiser wrote:
>> > I just thought that having dovecot die horribly when the clock is adjusted
>> > (using settimeofday() I assume) wasn't the most desirable behaviour.
>>
>> Well, although I agree with you, many unexpected things can happen (esp.
>> in Unix) when you go into the past :-(
>
> From programmer's point of view it can be difficult to try to correctly
> handle clock going backwards. I've never even bothered trying, since it
> really shouldn't happen. :)

My clocks go backwards from time to time.  Most people at least go backwards
once a year for daylight savings time (though there are a few lucky ones
who don't observe DST changes).

Fast clocks, incorrect settings being fixed, DST, BIOS resets, mother board
replacements, moving locations, etc.  All kinds of things can make a clock
go backwards (though jumping forward is more common).

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics

Go Longhorns!